Ramblings of a relatively new truck driver

Where am I?

GPS tracking powered by InstaMapper.com

Saturday, October 17, 2009

10/16/2009

Really need to trade in my steel tarps for some lumber tarps. In the last year I've had to tarp one, maybe two loads of steel and I'm not sure how many loads of lumber. It was enough that I should have made the change a while back. So the next time I get to the terminal (maybe Monday) I gonna make the change.


Anyway after moving to Jacksonville, FL by 8am I got the dubious honor of waiting around till noon to get my w/a. Normally I'm a roll with it patience kinda of guy. Today was not that day. Finally at 11:15 a message "Can you make it to Blackshear, GA by 15:30 (3:30pm for the non military types) and get a load weighing 47100". Now I still have to break down the glass racks but we are only talking 106 miles so that part is do able. As to the weight hell I don't know off the top of my head. So I look it up in our handy dandy securement book that Maverick provides. The whole time I'm thinking your the load planner why are u asking me. Anyway the book says this trailer is rated to carry 47000 and that's what I send off in my message. No response.


11:55 w/a comes through proceed to Blackshear, GA for a 15:00 pick up.


Now lets do some math


Lost 45 min waiting for this to come through


Lost 30 min because the pickup time is 30 minutes earlier.


Still have to break down the racks. that that takes 45-60 minutes if there is no problems.


Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I already ticked for having to wait 3 hours to get a hint of a load. Then another almost 60 min to actually get the load. Now I've got to haul ass to get to the pickup in time.


I've known for four days where I would be today. They've known for four days where I was gonna be today. Why in hell should I have to haul ass.


Anyway made it to the shipper with (according to the w/a) 10 min to spare. Come to find out they load until 4 or 1600. There was a back up when I got there because it had been raining and they can't load lumber when it's raining. The loading crew was extremely efficient (something to do with it being Friday) and they drop 2 bundles off the load to get me under the legal limit. Did the math prior to loading so that saved a lot of time. Tarping went very fast. I must be getting better at the tarping thing. I would be embarassed to tell you how long in took for me to do that the first time. This time loading and tarping 2-2.5 hours later I'm on my way. Considering what I expected that was extremely good.


Didn't make it home last night because I stopped before getting to Jacksonville, Fl and I ran out of time but I got home before the chickens this morning.


Gonna work on doing as little as possible while here and then Monday morning it will be off to Conway, SC to drop this load. Good bet is I'll be headed to Laurinburg, NC to get a glass load next, but we all know how my bets work out.


Have a good weekend!


Bookerz out

No comments:

Trucker blogs I read

About Me

My photo
Greenville, SC, United States
I've been married for 21 years. After nearly 25 years in the retail industry I decided to make an abrupt change in direction into the trucking industry.