Ramblings of a relatively new truck driver

Where am I?

GPS tracking powered by InstaMapper.com

Sunday, February 14, 2010

With the freeway looking like a parking lot. Damn this traffic jam. Damn

The title for today's post is a line from a James Taylor song from the 70s. And for Friday night it aptly describe I-85 north of Atlanta, GA. Apparently there was a major accident around the 126-127 mile marker. This shut down traffic for hours. This allowed the precipitation that was falling north of the accident time to actually freeze to the roadway. Georgia was not prepared for the combination of events and considering their normal weather patterns this is not much of a surprise. The state troopers initially wanted us to just get off the interstate. And go where was the natural question. Again, initially the answer was head south. Atlanta was starting to have it's own problems and really wasn't a good option. Taking secondary roads around wasn't a good option because the roads out there if anything were worse off than the interstate. Naturally the area around the accident isn't designed to accommodate that much stalled traffic. So nature took it's course and I-85 became a parking lot for the night. I slept fitfully in the drivers seat wanting to make sure I didn't miss when the traffic would start moving again. I and thousands of other truck drivers basically got a ten hour break in while sitting in the middle of the freeway. At 7 or 8 o'clock the next morning the traffic cautiously began to move.

Anyway I made it home around noon and that is where I'll be until Monday morning. I scheduled for noon at a construction site in Charlotte, NC. I will probably deadhead to Laurinburg from there, but I have a flatbed trailer so anything is truly possible.

Have a nice weekend
Bookerz out

No comments:

Trucker blogs I read

About Me

My photo
Greenville, SC, United States
I've been married for 21 years. After nearly 25 years in the retail industry I decided to make an abrupt change in direction into the trucking industry.