Ramblings of a relatively new truck driver

Where am I?

GPS tracking powered by InstaMapper.com

Friday, January 8, 2010

01/07/2010

01/07/2010

I've figured out how to post on my blog using the laptop to compose the post and then the Blackberry to transmit it. It would be easier if I was willing to pay ATT and additional fee but for now I'm going to try and avoid do that.

I use Open office writer to write it. This is an extra step but I need the spell check function.
Cut and paste the text into notepad to remove any formatting that writer puts in
Transfer the file to the Blackberry (here to fore known as 'BB')
open the file on the BB copy it
Go to the Blogger web site start a new post and paste it into that.
Sounds a bit more trying than it actually is.

Any way back to our regularly scheduled program.

I had 500 miles to go and a timezone to cross where I would lose an hour. So I took off at the earliest legal time 2am. Made good time to the border they actually had two gates open. So I figured not to bad. WRONG. Please pull your truck over to the xray bay I was told. The blank look on my face told the border official I didn't know where to go. He was kind enough to direct me and away I went. Other than the extra time it took the border guard to look under the bed of my trailer after taking the xray. We store all the fixtures for hauling glass under the bed when hauling other product. I was sent on my way a rather painless experience.

The day didn't get truly interesting until I got to southern Michigan and the snow began. The further south I went the heavier the snow the slower the traffic. When I crossed into Indiana the snow was heavy enough and the traffic was heavy enough to get bad slow (40 mph). When I got to the Gary, IN area we were down to 20-25 mpg and stayed that way until 20-30 miles west of the Greater Chicago area. My plan to arrive about noon was shot full of holes now it was just a question of if I could arrive in time. As it turned out if everything went just right I would arrive at 15min prior to the delivery window closing. My saying that clued you in to the fact that not everything went right. The directions were extremely weak and I didn't make it. After about a dozen phone calls some to the consignee to try and get better directions and not making any headway I decided to call it a day. I would tackle this in the morning and with the inclement weather my being late wasn't my fault.

Now the Ottawa yard is only 16 miles away and there is a purveyor of adult beverages that serves a mean sausage burger and it was calling my name. So off to the Ottawa yard I went. Arriving at the yard by 3:30 I was finally told that there was a driver there who had recently delivered to the consignee in question. After a few minutes of getting better directions and an equal amount of trucker talk. It was time to answer the call of the burger. It was shall we say just as tasty as I remembered it and the pair of brews that accompanied where tasty as well. Six pm and I was back at the truck stretching out to read a book and rapidly fell asleep.

Have a good day
Bookerz out

No comments:

Trucker blogs I read

About Me

My photo
Greenville, SC, United States
I've been married for 21 years. After nearly 25 years in the retail industry I decided to make an abrupt change in direction into the trucking industry.