Ramblings of a relatively new truck driver

Where am I?

GPS tracking powered by InstaMapper.com

Friday, January 8, 2010

01/06/2010

01/06/2010
Took off at 2am just to make sure that the weather and the border crossing didn't make me late. It was only 130 miles to the consignee so best case scenario I'd arrive at 4:15-4:30 early enough to grab a nap if I so choose. But alas best case scenario was not meant to be. The roads while not terrible were not optimal so a bit slower and more cautious was in order. And the border well it was only 2:45 in the morning and they had only 1 gate open that added about 30 minutes. All in all I arrived at 5:15 so a bit of waiting ensued.
I had never untarped glass on a DCL trailed and while not all that different than a DGL it added a minute or two. The guys at this consignee are nice and relatively efficient at unloading trailers so it wasn't long and I was out of the bay.
Now here comes the fun part. I had gotten a preplan to pickup some lumber in Brantford, ON this would entail my breaking down the trailer into flatbed mode. Now I've never had to convert this particular model of trailer. Last night in a moment of fore thought I had read the instructions on how to do so. We have another model of trailer that breaks down similar to this one and in some ways this one is easier. On both types we have to run an additional electrical cord from the tractor to the trailer. Apparently some where in the last year, it has been that long since I've broke down the other model, the electrical plug on my tractor decided to call it quits. A mobile mechanic was call in and he bypassed the plug in order to allow me to break down the trailer. All in all <<(I get stuck on phrases) it added about 2 hrs to my break down time and put me a bit behind the curve so to speak.
I got down to were I was to load the lumber and they were a bit busy. Nice thing was it didn't take as long as I expected but it only left me an hour to drive. I was able to get over to Woodstock, ON were there is a nice TA and called it a day. This TA has an extremely nice buffet and the food is always very fresh and flavorful. It is expensive $20 with drink plus tip, but sometimes you just got to eat real food. I've almost sworn off fast food and a menu place or good buffet place once a week or so is needed.
So tomorrows journey will consist of 500 miles that needs to be done before 2pm central time. It is doable but will require I get rolling at 2am. More on that in my next post.
Have a good day
Bookerz Out

No comments:

Trucker blogs I read

About Me

My photo
Greenville, SC, United States
I've been married for 21 years. After nearly 25 years in the retail industry I decided to make an abrupt change in direction into the trucking industry.