Ramblings of a relatively new truck driver

Where am I?

GPS tracking powered by InstaMapper.com

Sunday, April 11, 2010

04/09/2010

After yesterday today seemed like a dream. No international borders and no maintenance people too wait on.

The drive down I-90/I-271/OH-8/I-77 was nice. I hit all the sections at the right times and traffic wasn't an issue. The directions were clear and concise and the receivers receiving area was a bit fun.

I'll take a moment to explain. I had to back down the lane about 250 yards. Push the trailer to the right between two objects towards the dumpster and then pull forward to square up the truck. Actually there was about 8 mounds of stuff to work myself between and around. Fortunately the mounds consisted of sawdust, horse manure, peat moss, top soil, and a couple of mounds where they mixed the stuff with big front end loaders. What was fun about it there was no way I could damage either the tractor/trailer or the material. And the back job went of without a hitch.

After getting unload and waiting a bit. I got a work assignment of picking up a coil in Coshocton, PA and taking it to Randleman, NC. This steel facility unlike my experience in Birmingham, AL went off without a hitch, the only problem being is when it came time for me to leave it was time for shift change. During shift change they close the pedestrian cross walks to motorized traffic. Therefore I couldn't leave I kinda thought that was a bit anal, but it had been 777 days since the had a work time loss due to injury. That is an impressive safety track record especially considering the size of the plant.

I didn't really want this load. At some point along the working for money curve Uncle Sam figures you are making entirely too much money. He figures that taxing you to death at this point will deter you from becoming to greedy. To be frank it was working and somewhere along the way to randleman I'll cross the making too much money line and from that point forward I'll be working for the tax man and not Maverick or myself. But as I am not my own boss and there is no way I could (or would) refuse this load. I will just have to suck it up and cry as the tax man has carnal knowledge of me.

It was the best week this year as far as miles covered 3120 and an additional $100 or so in ancillary pay.

Once I unloaded in Randleman I was released to head home. This alowwed me to arrive home mid afternoon Friday. SWEET! I had encouraged them to find me a load that would get me rolling on Sunday. The response wasn't exactly encouraging to me, but alas they came thru. I am picking up a load Sunday in Richburg, SC and taking it to Cheswick, PA. and I have a preplan on top of that. Running upto Jeffersonhills, PA and taking a load of glass over to Sandusky, OH for Tuesday. I need to be careful how much encouraging I do :). Anyway that will be a nice start for the week coming out of the house. Now I need to get started loading the truck and getting myself underway.

Have a nice day
Bookerz out

No comments:

Trucker blogs I read

About Me

My photo
Greenville, SC, United States
I've been married for 21 years. After nearly 25 years in the retail industry I decided to make an abrupt change in direction into the trucking industry.