Ramblings of a relatively new truck driver

Where am I?

GPS tracking powered by InstaMapper.com

Monday, April 12, 2010

4/12/2010

Today was a day to try a driver's backing skills and luck.

At my delivery point they unloaded half the load in one building and the other half in another. While my backing skills/luck were not operating at the highest efficiency they were up to the task. And despite moving from one building to another the unload time was still better than some places where movement is not required.

Now my next shipment picked up on the south side of Pittsburgh, PA. There is a considerable amount of construction going on in downtown. Despite the fact the shortest route was through downtown I decided that circumventing it was the best option. Especially considering that running through there with no traffic at 11pm or so last night proved a problem. But it did add 30 miles to my destination.

Once at my destination they decided that my backing a plume was to be challenged again. I got to back my way between 2 rail cars and a semi trailer and about 400 yards to the narrow door. It wouldn't have been so bad but backing straight wasn't within my skill set today. Alas in the door and the only thing hurt (a small amount) was my pride. Good enough. I had heard this was quite the hell hole. I must say that my experience here wasn't all that bad.

Now the qualcomm said that my consignee was a mere 205 miles away. With Pennslyvannia and eastern Ohio roads being what they are I decided to stick with the interstates. That added 50 miles and probably reduced the stress by 50 percent. I consider that a good trade so I went with it.

I have a 6am delivery time and I am only 40 minutes away. So life is good!!
As for tomorrow we will just have to wait and see. Perhaps, hopefully I'll get something with some legs to it and I won't have to work so hard.

Have a good day
Bookerz out

No comments:

Trucker blogs I read

About Me

My photo
Greenville, SC, United States
I've been married for 21 years. After nearly 25 years in the retail industry I decided to make an abrupt change in direction into the trucking industry.