Ramblings of a relatively new truck driver

Where am I?

GPS tracking powered by InstaMapper.com

Saturday, December 12, 2009

12/11/2009

Ok the dinner menu last night was interesting. I have a bad habit of ordering chicken fried streak. I figure it is kinda hard to screw that up. Despite the couple of place I have ordered it and have been proven wrong with a vengence. But, tonight I had taken a vow to break out the mold and order something different. Now we are back to the interesting menu and the most interesting thing on the menu was "Fried Chicken Alfredo". Now they had some steaks on the menu, but truck stops seem to buy surplus combat boots cut them up into sections and call them steaks. And charge quality steak prices to "boot". Well anyway the fried chicken alfredo consisted of wide noodles with alfredo sauce poured on and a sliced breaded thin chicken breast placed on top with a soup and salad bar run included. Not to bad at all and filling. Enough about dinner last night.


Woke up at 1am and hit the road shortly after that. Usually when I start that early I end up having to take a short power nap before sunrise. True to form just south of Oklahoma City I had to pull over for an hour. Got to Wichita Falls about 7am and proceeded to get my load. The w/a instructions still speak of the former place where we drop our enpty trailers and to speak to the guard on CB channel 42. Hmm my CB only has 40 channels as do all the rest. Ok pull in talk to the guard yea drop them down the road over there he points. K good enough, drop the trailer get back to guard shack and get the paperwork for my load. As I securing the load I notice some black stuff on my steps upto the headache rack. At first I figured it was road grime from my stint in the ice and snow, but I decided to pop the hood once my load was secure. Damn I got and oil leak and my inexperienced eyes it looks like a large one. Off to the Frieghliner Dealer in town.


Nine hours later.


The leaks not all that bad and your shop will handle it next week. Wasted day but better safe than sorry. Out of curiousity I asked how long would the repair job be. About 12 hours and then went on to explain what all was involved. He lost me right after saying 12 hours but I didn't feel it was polite to stop him. The have to do this and that and the other was all a foreign language to me. I'm not knocking his intelligence he seemed sharp as hell it is just my mechcanical disability that interferes with my understanding. Well they released my truck and advised my to check the oil twice a day for a while and get a gallon of oil and carry it on the truck. Sounded vaguely like take two asprin and call me in the morning, but good enough.


I went a mile down the road to the Flying J and called it a day.


Have a nice day


Bookerz out

No comments:

Trucker blogs I read

About Me

My photo
Greenville, SC, United States
I've been married for 21 years. After nearly 25 years in the retail industry I decided to make an abrupt change in direction into the trucking industry.