Ramblings of a relatively new truck driver

Where am I?

GPS tracking powered by InstaMapper.com

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Some people are just boneheads

Wake up just after midnight. 1 hour before the alarm clock goes off.
Fire up the truck and the coffee maker. Had to put an inverter in the truck. The amount of coffee I like to drink would send me to the poor house if I bought it and then I'd have to stop too often.
That done I looked around and there is this man walking around the parking lot. And he see's me cause I have to lights in the truck on. I'm thinking to myself I told these guys last night I don't want my wheels shined. So avoiding eye contact but still checking out what he's doing I realize he wearing a flak vest. I initially think through my still not quite awake state " Shining wheels has gotten tough". Finally it dawns on me "rent-a-cop" duh. Perhaps the Columbia Flying J is not in the best neighborhood.

Anyway I get rolling (after the coffee's done)roll into the consignee at 9am. Semi open appointment 7-12. Go in to talk to the receiver and he says your LATE. If you had been any later it would have cause a problem because I have to load my trucks. I explained that the W/A said 7-12 but that I would get right on it and unsecure the load. Working faster than my normal frantic pace I uncover the load. Once done I waited and I waited 40mins after the load is totally ready to go they touch the first piece of glass. If I'm anal about anything it's about being late, but more on that later.

Right before they touch the glass the y ask "Do you have the landing gear all the way down cause if you don't the trailer rocks when we unload the glass?" Just to let you know the landing gear being down can stop it from rolling, BUT there was no way it was going to stop this bonehead from rocking the trailer. Tap, tap tap tap he would hit the button that controls the crane to adjust the cradle to hook up to the glass. Tap, tap tap tap tap tap he would slowly move the glass. I understand being careful but if you move 4 tons of glass 2mm at a time it will cause a rocking motion until you finally get it away from the trailer. (DUH DUH)
After they finally get me unloaded the truth comes out

Come to find out I wasn't late. I was later than he wanted because it gets hot, I've already soaked my shirt, my pants with sweat and you want to whine at me because it gets hot in ALABAMA. Cry me a Flipping River. I pride myself on being mister customer service but this was too much. Alas I kept all that on the inside until I got here (my venting place).

Well onto more positive note. I got DH orderes back to Laurinburg to pick up a load going to Jackson MS for Tuesday (1245 miles). Typically run to the midwest after that things are looking up.

Have a good day
BOOKERZ

No comments:

Trucker blogs I read

About Me

My photo
Greenville, SC, United States
I've been married for 21 years. After nearly 25 years in the retail industry I decided to make an abrupt change in direction into the trucking industry.